Wednesday, May 13, 2009

mumbai

In the midst of rushing work before noon, organising a surprise bday bash for B, stocking up volvic, masks, and alcohol wipes and catching a plane to Mumbai in an hour. I felt as though I was on the verge of exploding. I was running errands while organising work and private matters with my blackberry. The pace of HK suffocates me at times like this.

Is my blackberry a blessing or a curse? Blessing is being able to connect with friends in US or wherever through bbm. Curse is the addiction. I am sure I am the millionth person to blog about it. (Stanley Bing from Fortune wrote some funny ones also)

Airport, checking in, typing away, "check in?" asked the check-in lady. "Yes", head down, typing frantically with my thumbs. If my thumbs were two individuals, they would be super duper in shape by now. My thumbs would breeze through the Namibia desert.

Passed custom: blackberry miraclously backed onto my hands, sucking away my energy
Airport lounge: blackberry got a rest as there were computers and free food
Off plane, on a car to hotel: head down, typing away, a rush went through my head to find people leaving me bbm messages after 5 hours of plane ride and began chatting

Hold on. Where am I? It's been over 10 years since I stepped foot in India. What is going on here? Where's that young adventurous girl who's hungry to absorb every new sight along the way, hungry to memorize every little details she sees, eager to hit and strike off all the places on her lonely planet guide. Instead, I am a crazy woman who has all her energy focusing on this little grey gadget. I took a deep breath, shoved the blackberry into my bag and began to look out of the window...

I love the evening dusk of Mumbai, the skyline is a lot lower compare to Hong Kong and you can  see the sky without obtrusion and high rises. I love the vast blue skyline infused with exotic Indian smell. 
At traffic light, a woman with her long braided hair down to the small of her back in a beautiful pink sari walking across the road. Coming across an old man walking with no shoes but balancing a big white bag on his head...

I am in India for the weekend and I should make it a worthwhile one.






No comments:

Post a Comment